POSTED: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:46pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 12:00pm
Two weeks after the Christmas Parade accident, a local restaurant burns
OVERTON - A sad coincidence for the people of Overton. Exactly two weeks ago, the city's Christmas parade ended prematurely when area cub scouts were run over, and dragged by 83-year year-old Lacy George. Now, one of Overton's favorite places to eat is gone.
Once again, flashing lights on Overton's main drag, as the Peanut Butter Emporium goes up in flames. Fire crews got the call a little after nine Monday night. They didn't stop working until the early morning hours.
"We dismissed the other departments around 3:30 or 4:00, somewhere in that area, but we were here on-scene until after 5 o'clock," said Overton Fire Chief Bill Wall.
Crews didn't see the full extent of the damage until the sun came up. Crews were still putting out hot-spots Tuesday. The home of Overton's Peanut Butter Emporium was charred, as was a vacant dry cleaning business, and a church.
"I was thinkin', we don't need this...it's not good for Overton," says Robert Loftice.
Robert Loftice used to rent his building out to the Full Gospel Holy Temple. Now the congregation will have to meet somewhere else.
The fire's damage isn't just peanuts, the entire complexion of this city - is now changed.