POSTED: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:18pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 12:00pm
TYLER - Officials say conditions considered drier than normal helped spread a number of grass fires on Tuesday afternoon in Smith County.
One in particular, on county road 2259 off Highway 64 East, destroyed a barn and damaged a garage.
For the homeowner what began as an afternoon of burning brush, leaves and grass turned into a fully-engulfed fire.
It took firefighters from Tyler, Whitehouse and Chapel Hill to get the fire out.
Fire crews were able to contain the fire from spreading to any other structures.
but the dry vegetation, wasn't the only source of all this smoke and flames.
smith county fire marshal jim seaton says, "the homeowner reportedly ignited a fire, and then went inside and dozed-off and went to sleep, so the fire was left unattended."