POSTED: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 10:00am
UPDATED: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 10:14am
Longview,TX — Editor’s note: This is second in a series of stories examining homicide in Longview. Click here to read the first story. Click here for more information on Longview homicides in the past five years.
If you live in the city of Longview, you are most likely to be a murder victim if you are a black male, about 35 years old, somewhere south of Cotton Street.
A News-Journal analysis of data from the Longview Police Department paints this portrait of the city’s murder victims and suspects: Although the victims are of all races, more than half of people killed since January 2008 — 54 percent — are black. Nine white victims and seven Hispanic victims account for the remaining 46 percent.
While Longview’s homicide rate is on par for a city its size — 35 victims in the past five years — the percentage of black victims is substantially larger. According to the 2010 census, blacks made up about 23 percent of Longview’s population.
Read more  from the Longview News-Journal.