CNN — Hours after a man unleashed gunfire on a California family, killing two and wounding three, police discovered a body in the home of the suspect early Sunday.
Authorities found the body in the charred home of suspect Desmond John Moses, but the body has not been identified, Inglewood police said.
Police believe Moses set the fire to his own home, a space he rented from the family he then opened fire on.
The shooting spree began before dawn Saturday, when a gunman hidden behind a painter's mask opened fire on a mother, a father and four children in their Inglewood house.
Amid the spray of bullets, acts of heroism emerged.
Maimed by gunshot wounds in both legs, the mother mustered the strength to run from the house carrying her 4-year-old son, who had been shot in the head, police said.
She collapsed in the street as an officer picked up the child.
The boy later died in surgery. The mother was in critical but stable condition Saturday.
Inside the house, 30-year-old Filimon Lamas used his body to shield the three other children from bullets. But the assailant still managed to strike two of those children: a 6-year-old boy in the pelvis and a 7-year-old girl in the chest. Both were in critical but stable condition, police said.
Lamas later died in surgery from multiple gunshot wounds.
The oldest of four children, an 8-year-old boy, was the sole family member who wasn't injured, police said.
Police did not release names of the mother or any of the children, pending notification of relatives.
As firefighters searched through the rubble of Moses' home, a manhunt ensued for the 55-year-old unemployed welder whom police described as a "hoarder" in his rental home.
"What would motivate an individual to do this is inexplicable," Inglewood Police Chief Mark Fronterotta said.