TYLER — "Monster" is in hot water.
The popular energy drink is getting sued by a family in Maryland.
A 14-year-old girl with a heart defect drank 2 big Monsters in a 24-hour period and died shortly thereafter from Cardiac Arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity.
According to the lawsuit, drinking 2 24 oz. Monster drinks is just the same as drinking 14 12 oz. Cokes...and in a 24 hour period, that's a lot.
The FDA is also investigating 4 other instances of deaths involving Monsters drinks.
KETK spoke with with some college students who say they've given up energy drinks.
"It made my heart rush real fast and then it just stopped and I'd just get a crash, you know," said Blake Brightwell.
"I'd wake up in the morning and since I've been dependent on caffeine, I feel groggy and I don't want to get out of bed and so I had to taper down and -- no more caffeine."
Trinity Mother Frances Dietitian Natalie Overstreet says a lot of the dangers of energy drinks don't even come from the caffeine, but from all that other stuff they throw in there to make it look healthy.
"They contain these energy blends that are a lot of added herbal supplements that boost the effect of the caffeine," Overstreet said.
She didn't comment on the possibility of death from energy drinks, but she says since they're considered energy supplements, they're not actually regulated by the FDA, so keep that in mind.
"If you know that you have a medical condition, if you know that you're very sensitive to caffeine, I would recommend avoiding it altogether just to be on the safe side," she said.