POSTED: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 11:33am
UPDATED: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 11:44am
Longview, TX — A Longview family lost their home to fire early Monday when an electric space heater placed too near a bed set the covers on fire.
Fire Marshal Johnny Zackary said Leazell and Margaret Strang left the house located in the 2200 block of 13th Street before 8 a.m. to take a child to school.
While the couple was gone, the fire erupted in a bedroom in the back of the house, Zackary said. The house was equipped with smoke alarms — which worked, according to Zackary, but no one was home at that time they sounded.
Zackary said between 25 and 30 percent of the home was damaged by fire and there was smoke damage throughout.
Read more from the Longview News-Journal.