POSTED: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 9:00pm
UPDATED: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 9:14pm
The kitchen is the heart of the home, especially during the holiday season. Safety in the kitchen is very important, and the need for safety increases during holiday cooking.
Longview Fire Department would like to give you several tips to help you have a safe holiday season.
· stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
· stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently.
· keep children away from the stove. kids should be 3 feet away from a hot stove.
· make sure kids stay away from hot liquids and foods. the steam or splash from vegetables, gravy, or coffee could cause serious burns.
· keep knives out of reach of children.
· be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
· keep matches and utility lighters out of reach of children preferably high in a locked cabinet.
· never leave children alone in a room with a lit candle.
· make sure your smoke alarms are working.
These are great practices for not only the holiday season, but year round. Please make sure to keep your family safe and enjoy your holiday festivities.