POSTED: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 9:00pm
UPDATED: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 9:14pm
Some Longview High School International Baccalaureate/International Scholar students are asking people for help to ensure that some of our less fortunate neighbors have some extra food for their holiday meal this season.
Organizers of the first “Feeding Our Friends” campaign are also hopeful their efforts help bring some awareness to hunger issues both globally and here locally.
Here’s how Feeding Our Friends works:
• For every $10 of a donation, IB/IS students will send a beautifully-designed Christmas card to a person/family (of the donor’s choice). The card will include a letter explaining that – as a gift to them – the donor provided food to a hungry family in the Longview area.
• A few days before Christmas, Longview ISD IB/IS students will buy groceries in $50 increments and deliver them to as many families as the money will allow.
How you can help:
• Please make checks payable to “Longview High School.”
• Include with your donation the names and the addresses of the persons or the families to whom you wish the Christmas cards sent. Please make sure the names are legible and also include your own mailing address and phone number for verification. All funds will be used to buy food for local families. Several community recourses and local churches will be providing names of the families that are in the most need.
• Since we are close to school break, please email Dr. Kent Cochran, IB Coordinator, with your list of names and he will make arrangements for you to be included in this year’s program. (firstname.lastname@example.org ). Checks will need to be sent to the high school or arrangements can be made to have the donation picked up by a student. All IB/IS students are aware of the program and should be able to help you.
“It’s simple. It’s fun. It’s easy and it’s the right thing to do,” junior IB spokesman Austin Rivera said.
What comes to mind when you think about Christmas? We all know the answer. That’s why we’re Feeding Our Friends.