Tyler, Texas — Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and deadly gas and is responsible for nearly 500 deaths per year in the United States, according to the Center for Disease control.
Because it's impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes can kill you before you're even aware it's in your home.
Paul Findley, Tyler Fire Marshal says, you may feel like you're getting sick, “The signs and symptoms we see early on with folks who may have some level of co poisoning are very similar to flu like symptoms."
The state does not require carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in homes, the Fire Marshal encourages everyone to have one, just to be safe. Findley says, “Carbon monoxide detectors are highly recommended."
The Environmental Protection's Agency, EPA, has a clear warning on its website that says never to have a generator inside your home.
Deadly emissions of carbon monoxide can build up from the generator, and linger in your home for hours even after the generator is shut off.
Findley, "If you have a portable generator never use that thing inside your home, don't even use it inside your garage, even if the garage doors up don't use it inside your garage."
The CDC reports carbon monoxide as a leading cause of unexpected death in the United States.