POSTED: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 4:05pm
UPDATED: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 11:14pm
Longview, TX (KETK) — As Spring approaches the conditions for grass and wildfires are growing.
With dry weather and wind gusts along with dried grass, timber, and leaves it only takes a spark for a fire to start.
Some tips on protecting your property:
- make sure your lawn equipment is properly maintained
- have a water hose or bucket of water handy if working outside (especially if you are welding)
- Design and maintain your home landscaping with wildfire safety in mind. Plant fire-resistant shrubs and trees. Ask your local plant nursery for help in choosing these types of plants.
- Use fire resistant pebbles and rocks around your home. Trim grass on a regular bases. Rack leaves and remove all dead plants and trees.
- Store flammable's away from your home. Store flammable materials, liquids, and solvents in metal containers at least 30 feet away from structures and wooden fences.
For more tips visit the Texas Forest Service.