Florida St. QB will not be charged with rape
POSTED: Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 1:53pm
UPDATED: Saturday, December 7, 2013 - 4:43pm
Atlanta, Ga (CNN) — Florida officials annnounced , Thursday, Heisman candidate and Florida State quarterback, Jameis Winston will not be charged with rape.
Almost a year after a Florida State University student first accused Winston of rape, the state attorney for Lee County, Florida, made the official announcement, clearing Winston, during today's afternoon press cofnerence.
Winston's accusser said the standout quarterback raped her in December 2012. According to police documents, the woman told investigators she was drinking with friends at a bar called Potbellys. They later left her after consuming several shots, according to the documents.
She said she does not remember much of what happened next, but told investigators she remembered winding up in a ground-floor apartment where a man took off her clothes and had sex with her despite her objections.
The woman came forward a month later to accuse Winston, but Tallahassee's interim police Chief, Tom Coe, said last week that she "broke off contact" with investigators in February and at the time no longer wanted to go forward with the case.
The woman's family has said that a detective had warned her attorney that Tallahassee is a "big football town" and that her life could be miserable if she pursued the case.
The case resurfaced after media outlets made public records requests for the initial complaint.
Last month, Winston's attorney announced his client and the woman had consensual sex. The woman's family shot back saying, "To be clear, the victim did not consent. This was rape."